- For sterilization
- Fallopian tube in ectopic pregnancy
On this resource, the following formatting is used for comprehensiveness:
- Minimal depth
- (Moderate depth)
(Look in the history for any intra-fallopian coils (Essure devices).)[notes 3]
- For sterilization
- Measure length and average diameter of each tube
- Serially section at 3-4 mm intervals, or 2-3 mm if suspected malignant (including BRCA mutation). Submit
- Submit 1 (or 3) circumferential transverse sections. If the specimen is only a segment of the tube of less than <5mm((, ink the surgical cut surfaces and)) submit all tissue.
Example gross report:
|(A. Labeled - __. The specimen is received in formalin and consists of) two fimbriated segments of fallopian tube measuring __ cm in length and __ cm in average diameter. On sectioning, each displays a patent lumen. No gross abnormalities are identified. The tubes are unoriented. The specimen is serially cross-sectioned and representative sections are submitted for microscopic examination in two cassettes.|
- Ensure there is at least one full cross-section from each tube, and take further samples otherwise.
- Check for patency of the lumen.
The most common tumor of the fallopian tubes is adenomatoid tumor:
High magnification of the same case, showing the typical features of tubular spaces of varying size composed of flattened cells resembling endothelium.
Example of a normal report in sterilization:
|(Left and right fallopian tubes, laparoscopic bilateral salpingectomy:)|
Complete cross-sections of histologically unremarkable fallopian tubes.
When included in a uterus specimen, normal tubes and ovaries may simply be mentioned as:
|Bilateral fallopian tubes and ovaries, unremarkable.|
- For a full list of contributors, see article history. Creators of images are attributed at the image description pages, seen by clicking on the images. See Patholines:Authorship for details.
- Paratubal cysts are essentially always benign.
- Shin, You-Jung; Kim, Ji-Young; Lee, Hee Jin; Park, Jeong-Yeol; Nam, Joo-Hyun (2011). "Paratubal serous borderline tumor ". Journal of Gynecologic Oncology 22 (4): 295. doi:10.3802/jgo.2011.22.4.295. ISSN 2005-0380.
Even more insignificant are sessile smaller cyst-like along the fallopian tube, which are serosal inclusion cysts.
- For a case with intra-fallopian coils in the medical records, an inability to find them on gross processing must be noted in order to raise the possibility of coil expulsion.
- Kerryn Ireland-Jenkin and Marsali Newman. Ovary and fallopian tube -benign setting. Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia. Retrieved on 2020-10-16.
- Crum, Christopher P.; Mckeon, Frank D.; Xian, Wa (2012). "The Oviduct and Ovarian Cancer ". Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology 55 (1): 24–35. doi:10.1097/GRF.0b013e31824b1725. ISSN 0009-9201.
- Nicole Riddle, Jamie Shutter. Fallopian tubes & broad ligament - Fallopian tube tumors - Adenomatoid tumor. Pathology Outlines. Topic Completed: 1 September 2013. Minor changes: 13 December 2019