Jump to navigation Jump to search
Estimation of time of death
An estimation of the time of death is made by postmortem changes of the body. A very approximate rule of thumb for estimating the postmortem interval is as follows:
- Warm and flaccid: less than 3 hours
- Warm and stiff: 3 to 8 hours
- Cold and stiff: 8 to 36 hours
- Cold and flaccid: More than 36 hours.
Timeline of postmortem changes.[image 1]
- Image(s) by: Mikael Häggström et al. - using source images from multiple authors (full list is located at image page in Wikimedia Commons.
Attribution 4.0 International license