Look for the most common tumors:
Pleomorphic adenoma (Pap stain). It can usually be diagnosed by its typical fibrillary stroma (mesenchyme). Stromal cell nuclei are small. Myoepithelial cells are usually the predominant cell type, and can have various shapes but are usually more elongated than epithelial cells. Epithelial cells may have prominent nucleoli.
- Steve C Lee, MD, PhD. Salivary Gland Neoplasms. Medscape. Updated: Jan 13, 2021}}
Diagrams by Mikael Häggström, MD
- Image by Mikael Häggström, MD. Reference for description: Bin Xu, M.D., Ph.D.. Pleomorphic adenoma. Last author update: 30 July 2021. Last staff update: 5 August 2021
- Image by Mikael Häggström, MD. References for entries:
- Köybaşioğlu FF, Önal B, Han Ü, Adabağ A, Şahpaz A (2020). "Cytomorphological findings in diagnosis of Warthin tumor ". Turk J Med Sci 50 (1): 148-154. doi:10.3906/sag-1901-215. PMID 31769640. PMC: 7080357. Archived from the original. .
- Dr.S. Malliga (2006-10-18). A correlative cytological and histopathological study on lesions of salivary gland.
- Chan MKM, McGuire LJ: Cytodiagnosis of Lesions Presenting as Salivary Gland Swellings: A Report of Seven Cases. Diagn Cytopathol 8: 439-443, 1992b.
- Adriana Handra-Luca, M.D., Ph.D., Jen-Fan Hang, M.D.. Warthin tumor. Pathology Outlines. Last author update: 1 September 2012. Last staff update: 28 June 2022