Generally 10% neutral buffered formalin. Fix all thyroids at least overnight to avoid artifactual nuclear atypia.
See also: General notes on fixation
- Measure each lobe and isthmus in 3 dimensions, respectively.
- Ink outer surface, at least if malignancy is suspected.:Template:Ink note
Hemithyroidecomy (lobe + isthmus) or lobectomy, including completion thyroidectomies: Use separate colors over the cut surface and the outer “capsular” surface.[notes 1]
None of the outer “capsular” surface should be inked like the cut surface.[notes 1]
See also: General notes on gross processing
- Separate coloring allows to distinguish the thyroid margin (continuous with the other lobe) from the peripheral margin (towards soft tissues).
- . Gross Pathology Manual By The University of Chicago Department of Pathology. Updated 2-14-19 NAC.
- Monica Dahlgren, Janne Malina, Anna Måsbäck, Otto Ljungberg. Stora utskärningen. KVAST (Swedish Society of Pathology). Retrieved on 2019-09-26.
- . THYROID. Royal College of pathologists of Australia. Retrieved on 2019-12-17.