There are many variants for the processing of skin excisions. These examples use aspects from the following sources:
- . Handläggning av hudprover – provtagningsanvisningar, utskärningsprinciper och snittning (Handling of skin samples - sampling instructions, cutting principles and incision. Swedish Society of Pathology.
- For number of slices and coverage of lesions, depending on size.
- Monica Dahlgren, Janne Malina, Anna Måsbäck, Otto Ljungberg. Stora utskärningen. KVAST (Swedish Society of Pathology). Retrieved on 2019-09-26.
- For slices towards the pointy ends to determine radicality, which can be parallel to the slices through the lesions (shown), or as longitudinal slices that go through each pointy end.
- . Dermatopathology Grossing Guidelines. University of California, Los Angeles. Retrieved on 2019-10-23.
- For microtomy of the most central side at the lesion
- "The principles of mohs micrographic surgery for cutaneous neoplasia
". Ochsner J 5 (2): 22–33. 2003. PMID 22826680. PMC: 3399331. Archived from the original. .
- With a "standard histologic examination" that, in addition to the lesion, only includes one section from each side along the longest diameter of the specimen.
- It also shows an example of circular coverage, with equal coverage distance in all four directions.
- The entire specimen may be submitted if the risk of malignancy is high.